Thursday, May 2, 2013

Little dragon for my High Elf Army (sculpted)


I wanted to have a Great Eagle for my Warhammer Fantasy High Elf army but I didn't want to spend a lot of money in a model that I didn't really like. So I decided to do something more unique, more personal. First I thought of making a Phoenix but afterwards I decided that probably a little Dragon would be better suited for my army. Now, with the new High Elf miniatures in mind I think it would have been better to make the Phoenix.


Anyhow, as I said I made a Dragon to use it as a Great Eagle using a mix of epoxy putties. Its not the first miniature I have sculpted and it is not going to be the last. I have improved quite a bit since my beginnings but there is still a long run a head of me. If someone is thinking of making some dragon style wings I recommend that they take a look at this tutorial that I find really useful.

The first step of the sculpting process of the Dragon was to build an armature. I usually use wire and sprue bits for this purpose.


After that the "only" thing left to do was putting some putty on the armature and giving it some form. After a few sessions of that, the result was:




The Dragon was left like that for almost a year before I get myself to paint it. For me is a lot more enjoyable to sculpt than to paint. It usually pass a good amount of time between I finished sculpting and I start painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...